OCTOBER IS HERE. (And with it: me.) It’s my second favorite month of the year (after December) and I’m ready for trashy spooky movies on tv, horror and thriller marathons, beautiful scarves and coats and sweaters and a mild breeze going around the neighborhood. My heart is already full with all the witchy things that are going to await me. Give me fresh air, soft warm colors, leaves on the ground, halloween inspired movies and tv shows and animated series and food and candles — CANDLES. Especially candles. And obviously: hot cholocate and fluffy blankets. The whole package.
To start of the October with something as nice as the month itself, I’m going to recommend to you all the things that I have consumed in the past that I think ARE PERFECT FOR YOU TO CONSUME IN OCTOBER, too. You’re welcome! (This includes: movies, tv shows, books, food, drinks etc.) By the way: you can find my letterboxd October watchlist for #Horrorctober right here.
∞ Movies ∞
I linked the letterboxd page on the title of the movie, so if you want to find out more and see the poster for the movie, click on that.
- Circle (2015) –> death game, questions about morality –> deciding ‚who is going to die next‘ + short movie but very entertaining, playing with human lives, who deserves to die/live and reasons for that, super interesting!!
- Coherence (2013) –> movie that really makes you think, has a few ‚aha‘ moments and twists and turns, it’s mindbending and genrebreaking, probably sci-fi mix, one of those movies that I couldn’t stop myself from trying to figure out what’s happening while watching it, recommend to watch with someone/have a watchbuddy so you can discuss ideas and thoughts before/while/after watching!!
- A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night (2014) –> very special, iranian ghost movie!! it’s a little bloody and includes gore but it’s totally like nothing I have ever seen, very cool premise and execution, I feel like I definitely need to rewatch it soon-ish
- The Sixth Sense (1999) –> one of my favorite movies from last year, definitely watch it if you haven’t already, it’s a ghost story with a twist that I ADORED SO MUCH, recommend to watch when it’s cold and dark outside, drink tea and fall into the atmosphere of the movie, would 10/10 watch again, it gave me so many feels!!
- Train To Busan (2016) –> one of the coolest zombie movies I’ve seen, starts off slow but builds and builds into an action-packed journey, father/daughter dynamic explored, different characters that come together, MOST OF IT IS ON A TRAIN!!
- The Conjuring (2013) –> i absolutely celebrate those movies (the first AND the second one), they are so entertaining and genuinely scary at times, feels like a classic, never goes out of style, big fan of Vera Farmiga and Patrick Wilson in this!!
- Hush (2016) –> LOVED it last year, watched it three times now, definitely super cool concept, rooted for the main character (who is deaf!), recommended it to all of my friends after watching it and everyone liked it, #badasswomanpower
- The Shallows (2016) –> not really a movie that I would watch in October but I had to name it because it’s a thriller shark movie! (my favorite one) and it definitely gives you the thrills so there’s that! the title song by Sia is stunning and the perfect way to end the whole film
- Hocus Pocus (1993) –> OBVIOUSLY. it’s THE halloween movie of all the halloween movies, still love to watch it every year and will continue to do so, 11/10
∞ TV Shows ∞
I linked the youtube trailer on the title of the show so if you want to find out more , you can just click on that.
- Castlevania –> animated show on Netflix! the first season only consists of 4 episodes and you can definitely watch it in one go; it’s about vampires and humanity and how we deal with pain, it’s not super awesome yet but it definitely has potential and I’m excited for the second season!
- Harper’s Island –> I REALLY LIKED THIS. It’s different from the other murder tv shows (Scream, Slasher) in the way it’s done, the deaths are extraordinary and new and fresh for every single person and the whodunit of the show is GREAT! This definitely should have gotten another season in a different setting/characters
- Attack on Titan –> AN ANIME. It’s so very interesting and full of badass characters. Every time you think you know everything, you find out some more. It’s about Titans that eat/kill people and the people that try to stop them.
- American Gods –> dark, gritty and VERY WEIRD. It’s super weird, for sure. But it’s also interesting and the characters are my jam! I enjoy the different dynamics (especially Dead Wife/Leprechaun) and I’m hyped for season 2
- Over the Garden Wall –> LOVED THIS. It’s animated and lovely and still spooky and a little scary at times when you think about it, dont watch the trailer to the end BECAUSE SPOILERS. so beware, people.
- others I recommend: Criminal Minds, Death Note, Hilda (which isn’t scary but perfect for fall nevertheless, it’s on Netflix) and and and.
∞ Books ∞
I linked the goodreads page on the title of the book, so you can click on that to look at the cover and find out more.
- Slade House –> my first read of 2017 and I really enjoyed it! it’s a haunted house story and there are a lot of timejumps and characters. It’s a mystery/fantasy /horror/thriller mix and made me want to read more from David Mitchell
- Force of Nature –> it’s mostly a human-against-nature thriller! a few collegues go on a camping trip and the group of women get lost. It’s real good and I will definitely read more of Jane Harper.
- The Sacred Lies of Minnow Bly –> the main character is a girl without hands, it’s about cults and finding your strength and getting out of toxic situations. It’s so good.
- The Female of the Species –> girl against bad guys, feminist as hell, this is graphic and full of angry people. It’s also very quotable and clever and so so good.
- WOW I NEED TO READ MORE THRILLERS IT SEEMS
- UH AND I’M CURRENTLY READING SADIE BY COURTNEY SUMMERS AND IT’S A MYSTERY-THRILLER BOOK IN FIRST PERSON AND PODCAST FORMAT
If you have recommendations for me, please drop them below in the comments. I want to immerse myself in the autum lifestyle with all the spooky books and spooky movies and spooky tv shows and I’m already so behind in #Horrorctober. I didn’t have time to go to the DVD loan shop but I’ll make time for it soon-ish. Recommend –> Drinks: hot cholate, tea. Food: soup, salad, lots of vegetables, some icecream. Clothes: warm, lovely.
Disclaimer: I don’t own any of the movies, tv shows and books that I mention. #Advertisement.